Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Should you Jailbreak or Unlock your iPhone

Recently I have been thinking about my thoughts towards my iPhone since jailbreaking it and have come to some conclusions. I don't like my iPhone as much with crazy third party applications on it. I know this may come as a shock since there are a lot of things that the iPhone lacks, but it is true and I am going to take a little time here and explain why I think that is.

When I first got my iPhone I was extremely happy and loved everything about it. The way that you go through menus and make calls and surf the web are great. All of those things were a completely new experience to me and made the iPhone undoubtedly the best phone that I have ever had. As time went on though, some of those first impressions wore away and started to let me think about the things that I would still like for the iPhone to be able to do. There is the huge lack of 3G that still bothers me and also not having flash on the Safari browser. Those are the two things that have made me mad time and time again. I also would like to use the iPhone to connect my laptop to the internet. The connection is so slow that it would not really be that great, but sometimes I am in a bind and need flash and internet on the go and there is none with the iPhone.

So what do these flaws have to do with anything? Well, even through all of those flaws and many more unmentioned, the iPhone is the best cell phone ever made. I know that is hard to swallow for some, but I am sticking to it. The iPhone has been a pleasure to use and has given me much less stress than any of the other phones I have had including simple old nokias to my most recent T-Mobile MDA. I have never had such a great experience with an electronic device besides my MacBook Pro.

I had decided to jailbreak my iPhone so that I could review some applications that are available for it right now and review a couple of them, but there has been an added amount of stress or clutter associated with it. Firstly, I have to wait to update my iPhone because otherwise I will lose my programs. This is kind of a hassle. Secondly, the programs are buggy at best and are not to the level of Apple quality. This was to be expected, but I really don't need any of the programs that I have on my iPhone and they don't work great so why do I have them at all. I am content with surfing the web, texting, emailing, and taking pictures. The third party applications out there do not really tap into the flaws the iPhone has so they don't really make the iPhone better.

The conclusion is this. I have the money program on my iPhone right now to keep track of my finances for November. Once I am done with that, I will take the jailbreaking off of the iPhone and go back to plain Apple iPhone. You know what though, I will not care a bit. I loved the iPhone just as it was and everything worked great. I want to have that back and no more crashing (did I mention that the iPhone started crashing from time to time only after I did a jailbreak).

So I encourage all of you out there that are thinking about unlocking or jailbreaking your iPhone to simply wait until next year when Apple starts releasing software programs that are actually made to work on the iPhone.